Thanksgiving is a wonderful opportunity for gathering as a family and sharing a traditional meal. But, it’s also a great time for families to spend quality time outdoors. Playoutdoors.com offers five great outdoor activities that every member of the family can be thankful for to feel a part of the festive fun.
- Take a family walk after the meal (if it’s snowing, get the whole family together to snowshoe in the yard)
- Create a backyard treasure hunt for the kids where they have to find Thanksgiving-themed items like: mini pumpkins, leaves, turkey, pumpkin pie, pilgrims, etc. These items can be made from construction paper or can be purchased at party stores.
- Start an annual family turkey trot. Players pair up by linking their elbows. Each team has their own turkey mascot (a football with construction taped turkey face on it, a stuffed animal turkey, a brown bag stuffed with newspaper and decorated like a turkey). The first team to make it to the finish line without dropping the turkey and unlinking their arms wins.
- Set up a craft table in the backyard where kids can create their own turkey hats, hand turkeys, glue leaves and sticks on paper, turkey napkin holders etc.
- Before recycling the food containers from your Thanksgiving meals, create an outdoor game bowling where guests roll a pumpkin into plastic soda bottles, tin cans or boxes that can be reused as bowling pins