Explore the outdoors this winter on snowshoes and walk over the snow. Lorain County Metro Parks is offering several snowshoe hikes this winter. Snowshoes are provided during these guided hikes and are available for both children and adults. This is a great way to try snowshoes and get some exercise this winter.
Hikes will include a short a talk of the history of snowshoeing and animal adaptations for winter trail. Then participants can tryout a pair of snowshoes on a hike around the park. If we do not have snow, we will still hike. Hikes will take place at several parks in the months of January, February and March.
- January 9, 10–11:30 am–French Creek Nature Center, Sheffield Village
- January 16, 1-3pm, Vermilion River Reservation (part of Winter Days Festival)
- January 17, 1-3pm, Vermilion River Reservation (part of Winter Days Festival)
- January 30, 10–11:30 am–Black River Reservation (meet at Burr Oak shelter #1), Elyria
- January 30, 1–2:30 pm–Sandy Ridge Reservation, North Ridgeville
- January 31, 2–3:30 pm–Indian Hollow Reservation, Grafton
- February 6, 10–11:30 am–Carlisle Visitor Center, LaGrange
- February 7, 2–3:30 pm–Caley Reservation, Wellington
- February 13, 10–11:30am–Amherst Beaver Creek Reservation
- February 14, 1–2:30 pm–Kopf Family Reservation (meet at library trailhead), Avon Lake
- February 20, 10–11:30 am–Sandy Ridge Reservation, North Ridgeville
- February 25, 5–7 pm–Wellington Reservation
- February 27, 10–11:30 am–North Coast Inland Trail (meet at parking lot in Kipton)
- February 27, 2–3:30 pm–Forest Hills Golf Course, Elyria
- March 6, 9–11 am–Wellington Reservation
- March 13, 9–11 am–Charlemont Reservation, Wellington
A limited number of snowshoes are available for each hike, so participants must sign up by calling Jannah at the French Creek Nature Center at (440) 949-5200. Reservations must be made two days before the scheduled hike.