By June Naylor, McClatchy Newspapers
If your kids are caught up in the “Twilight” craze, why not translate the madness into kitchen magic? That’s the idea behind “Love at First Bite: The Unofficial Twilight Cook Book” by Gina Meyers (iUniverse, $14.95). Within its 200 pages are family-friendly recipes, as well as plenty of “Twilight” trivia. An easy sweet snack, this treat is easy enough for kids to make with a little guidance.
- 9 cups rice cereal, such as Chex brand
- ¼ cup butter
- ½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup peanut butter chips
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- Place the cereal in a large zip-seal plastic bag; set aside.
- In a large glass bowl, combine butter and chips. Cover with wax paper and microwave on high speed for about 1 minute. Stir well. If all the chips haven’t melted, microwave for an additional 10 to 20 seconds.
- Once melted, stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour mixture over the cereal in the plastic bag, add the powdered sugar, seal well and shake until completely mixed. Spread the mixture over a sheet of wax paper to cool thoroughly. Transfer to a serving bowl.